disk space saving?

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 09:53:56PM +0100, J?r?me Marant wrote:
> > Yes, but if it is no more work, why not do it. And also, you get the
> > benefit of not needing the non native code supporting autobuilders.
> I don't really care if it would be more work. It is too many package.
> Cameleon is about 16 and it is enough and maybe too much.

Well, hopefully this week end I can look at my packages and also at
cameleon. Anyway I need to know from you, Jerome, if you are contrary
just because it's a lot of work that you consider not-so-useful or for
some other reasons.
In other words: have you any problem if I perform the needed changes on
the cameleon package?

[ for the reason why I support the native/byte splitting see below ]

> I really think that it is turning into a disk space _obsession_.

<snipped a lot of good arguments against disk space obsession>

I agrre with all your arguments atainst disk space obsession, disk space
is really not a problem.

Anyway I'm in favour of the byte/native splitting because it can really
avoid a lot of problems related to autobuilder. Consider that most of
the architecture which doesn't have a native code compiler are also the
ones that have a long autobuilder queue. Moreover many times I had the
need to ask on a porter list to rebuild a package which for strange
reasons was not considered for the building, ecc ...

The fewer autobuilders we need to 'disturb' to rebuild our packages, the
better.

My 0.02 EUR,

Stefano Zacchiroli  -  undergraduate student of CS @ Uni. Bologna, Italy
   zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
 "I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
 sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney