Re: proposal: new ocaml dirs schema

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 01:11:03PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > For example we can have a 'current debian ocaml version' of 3.06 and
> > currently installed also ocaml-3.04 and ocaml-3.07, having 'ocaml'
> > package provided by ocaml-3.06 and /usr/bin/ocaml ->
> > /usr/bin/ocaml-3.06.
>
> Mmm, i was thinking about the following :
> latest debian version -> /usr/bin/ocaml
> older debian version -> /usr/bin/ocaml-<older_version>
> cvs build -> /usr/bin/ocaml-cvs-<date>
>
> Or something such.

Uhm ... IMO is better a schema based on symlink (which is the python
one):

- each ocaml version:
   /usr/bin/ocaml-<version>

- an ocaml package which depends on the current debian ocaml version and
  provides a symlink
    /usr/bin/ocaml -> ocaml-<debian_ocaml_version>

With this schema you have not to reupload the old ocaml version each
time a new version will be available.
You just have to package the new version and reupload the ocaml package
with the right dependency and the right symlink.

> The constraint on our users is to do some creative makefile use (i can
> provide a sample makefile part to include), but i guess simply having
> something of the kind :
>
> OCAML_VERSION=3.06
>
> OCAMLC=/usr/bin/ocamlc-$(OCAML_VERSION)

With the symlink based approach, this is useless.

> I thought, once we have discussed it a bit, we may well ask for comment
> on the official ocaml mailing list also.

Agreed!

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney