Re: proposal: new ocaml dirs schema

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 11:04:05AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 10:25:30AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > Also, notice, i am also thinking of a scheme about moving ocaml
> > directory to /usr/lib/ocaml/3.06, what do you think about this ? This
> > would mean a whole recompile of all the ocaml packages, but would enable
> > us to do side by side installation of different versions of ocaml.
> >
> > In this way, when a new release is made (let's say ocaml 3.07), i will
> > rename the current packages as ocaml-3.06, which will still provide
> > ocaml-3.06 and ocaml-base-3.06, and have the new ocaml package,
> > providing ocaml-3.07 and ocaml-base-3.07 roll into testing without
> > problems of the kind we are having now.
> >
> > This can only be achieved if all ocaml dependant packages depend on
> > ocaml-3.0x and ocaml-base-3.0x, and never on ocaml proper.
>
> Ok, it seems to me a good improvement to the current schema, moreover
> this will permit us to have multiple ocaml version installed at the same
> time.
> As previously discusse, this seems to be not really important, but if we
> can get switching to this schema both fewer problem with testing and
> multiple installed version, .... why not?
> Obviously this seems to be a major change of schema and IMO requires a
> large agreement among (the few :) ocaml debian developers.

Yes, also since we are early in the sarge development cycle, it is not
urgent.

> We have also to think to a schema of symlink for the whole set of ocaml
> utilities: the toplevel, the compilers, ocamldoc, ... Probably we will
> need a schema like the python one, that is one 'current debian ocaml
> version' which is the one to which default executables will refer to.
> For example we can have a 'current debian ocaml version' of 3.06 and
> currently installed also ocaml-3.04 and ocaml-3.07, having 'ocaml'
> package provided by ocaml-3.06 and /usr/bin/ocaml ->
> /usr/bin/ocaml-3.06.

Mmm, i was thinking about the following :

latest debian version -> /usr/bin/ocaml

older debian version -> /usr/bin/ocaml-<older_version>

cvs build -> /usr/bin/ocaml-cvs-<date>

Or something such.

This impose some constraint on me, since i would need to upload a new
ocaml-old-version package each time there is a new release, but i am
willing to do it, and anyway, i don't think we can escape it (since the
package name will have to be changed).

The constraint on our users is to do some creative makefile use (i can
provide a sample makefile part to include), but i guess simply having
something of the kind :

OCAML_VERSION=3.06

OCAMLC=/usr/bin/ocamlc-$(OCAML_VERSION)

Would be quite acceptable for the users.

> These are big decision that should be taken before performing the schema
> switch. I recommend to read the python debian policy in this respect, we
> can take good hints from it.

Yes, i will have a look at this.

I thought, once we have discussed it a bit, we may well ask for comment
on the official ocaml mailing list also.