Re: proposal: new ocaml dirs schema

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 10:25:30AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Also, notice, i am also thinking of a scheme about moving ocaml
> directory to /usr/lib/ocaml/3.06, what do you think about this ? This
> would mean a whole recompile of all the ocaml packages, but would enable
> us to do side by side installation of different versions of ocaml.
>
> In this way, when a new release is made (let's say ocaml 3.07), i will
> rename the current packages as ocaml-3.06, which will still provide
> ocaml-3.06 and ocaml-base-3.06, and have the new ocaml package,
> providing ocaml-3.07 and ocaml-base-3.07 roll into testing without
> problems of the kind we are having now.
>
> This can only be achieved if all ocaml dependant packages depend on
> ocaml-3.0x and ocaml-base-3.0x, and never on ocaml proper.

Ok, it seems to me a good improvement to the current schema, moreover
this will permit us to have multiple ocaml version installed at the same
time.
As previously discusse, this seems to be not really important, but if we
can get switching to this schema both fewer problem with testing and
multiple installed version, .... why not?
Obviously this seems to be a major change of schema and IMO requires a
large agreement among (the few :) ocaml debian developers.

We have also to think to a schema of symlink for the whole set of ocaml
utilities: the toplevel, the compilers, ocamldoc, ... Probably we will
need a schema like the python one, that is one 'current debian ocaml
version' which is the one to which default executables will refer to.
For example we can have a 'current debian ocaml version' of 3.06 and
currently installed also ocaml-3.04 and ocaml-3.07, having 'ocaml'
package provided by ocaml-3.06 and /usr/bin/ocaml ->
/usr/bin/ocaml-3.06.

These are big decision that should be taken before performing the schema
switch. I recommend to read the python debian policy in this respect, we
can take good hints from it.

Cheers.

[ answer about the native/bytecode executables in another mail ]

--
Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro