Re: proposal: native/bytecode executables proposal

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 01:16:12PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > We can write some substitution tools for debhelpers that will expand a
> > variable like ${ocaml-native-archs} to the list of the current archs
> > supported by the ocaml native code compiler.
> Well, i am not sure this will work, since the substitution may come
> before the packaging stuff, in particular it has to be used only by the
> packager, and once the package is uploaded, the autobuilders need to
> know the arch list before they build, so this limits us some.

I've never thought about it, have you tried anyway?

> > On archs which don't support native code compiler, foo-bytecode will
> > provide foo, right? So on these archs how does the packaging system
> > react if another package depends on foo >= x.y.z?
>
> Then you do a dependency on :
>
> foo | foo-native ? with the versioned dependency, that is.

You probably meant "foo | foo-bytecode (>= x.y.z)", in your schema there
was no "foo-native" package.
Anyway I don't know if it can work, let's see:
a) foo is available as a real package, ok
b) foo i provided by foo-bytecode so we have foo-bytecode (real package)
   and foo (provided by foo-bytecode), the versioned dep can work, but
   is a bit tricky, this need to be checked.
   Is probably better "foo-bytecode (>= x.y.z) | foo" but the behaviour
   with which apt choose the package is not granted so this is probably
   a bad idea.

> Also we could use the ocaml-3.06 trick to do versioned dependencies as
> needed.

brrr ... on all packages that need versioned dep? this is really
overkillinkg!

> Another solution would be to fix the versioned virtual dependency
> problem in dpkg.

I suspect this is the only possible solution :-(
(other than don't using versioned dependencies :)

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney