Re: again on new ocaml dirs schema

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 10:28:09AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> If we go for the move of the ocaml libdir from /usr/lib/ocaml to
> /usr/lib/ocaml/3.06, to ease the transition phase while we all rebuild
> our library packages, it think we should modify the ocaml-3.06 and
> ocaml-base-3.06 virtual packages to ocaml-3.06.1 and ocaml-base-3.06.1
> or something such, what do you think ?

IMO there's no need. Just wait that the ocaml 3.06 situation stabilize
in testing and the go and perform "dangerous" things in unstable, this
what unstable is for.

> This way, it could even be possible to have the old ocaml 3.06 and the
> new ocaml 3.06 in //.

???

> And one problem that i didn't speak about, and that need sovled, is how
> to handle the parts of ocaml that install outside of the libdir. These
> are basically the binaries (just append -3.06 to the old ones when a new
> release is made) and the manpages (same solution).

For the binaries I said something about them in my previous mail just
have all ocaml executables followed by a "-<vers>" string and use
symlinks.
For manpages I don't know ... uhm ... oh, yes, just have manpages for
executables (i.e. "man ocamlc-3.06") and symlinks also there.

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney