Re: Hi, packaging mldonkey, rpath + other questions

On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 10:09:50AM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm packaging mldonkey and on debian-mentors it was suggested to join
> this ML. So here I am.
>
> And of cause I have questions:
>
> 1. lintian complains about rpath being set. How do I tell ocamlopt to
> not use rpath?

You do not, you could use an lintian override to avoid the waring
though.

Upstream choose to use rpath, and when i asked on d-m, a huge flameware
about the usage of rpath followed, which didn't give me a conclusive
answer in any direction. Upstream mostly ignored my question (well they
responded, but they like rpath).

> 2. mldonkey uses ocamlopt.opt but ocamlopt works as well. Which of the
> two should I use? Should I build-depend on eigther or conflict with
> one?

You should build depend on ocaml-best-compilers, and do a test for the
presence of ocamlopt.opt before using it.

Make sure you have a fallback to use bytecode (ocamlc) if ocamlopt is
not present, or you will get _plenty_ of bug report, as your package
will _not_ build on m68k, hppa, mips, mipsel and maybe some other i am
missing.

> 3. Are there any archs that don't have a ocamlopt? At the moment I
> don't build bytecompiled versions of mldonkey but that would be easy
> to change.

See above.

Maybe i will furnish a list or such in the ocaml packaging policy.

The correct way of solveing this, is doing an explicit test for it.

> 4. Anything else that I should be aware of?

Not out of my head.