Re: Plans [Re: Cameleon 1.0]

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 11:05:07AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 10:35:11AM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:
> > I'm afraid, I don't have any web access right now. But I'll try to use
> > my memory:
>
> Ok, no problem, I googled a bit and I found out the complete index:
> Really Impressive!!!

The least that can be said ;-)

> That said, I propose to package each library in a single package, this
> seems to include: options (liboptions-ocaml{,-dev), okey
> (libokey-ocaml{,-dev}), configwin (libconfigwin-ocaml{,-dev}), gpattern
> (libgpattern, ocaml{,-dev}) and I will include also ioxml[1] (what about
> the package name?)

  Most of the libs do not provide shared versions. I think it is fine
  because they are rather small

> Then, surely MLChat can be not packaged, or packaged as an example (do
> we really need it?).

  Or simply not ship it.

> At this point we need to know if there is some kind of integration
> between the other developer tools, I have never used the whole cameleon
> so I don't know if the tools are somewhat integrated or not.
> If they aren't integrated is probably better to split a binary package
> for each tool (each of which should depends on the needed libraries) and
> then have a "cameleon" package which depends only on the _tools_.

  That's what I intend to do.

> I'm in doubt about OCamlCVS and OCamlmake-o-matic, regarding the former
> I don't know about the library which it ships, a part from that library,
> ocamlcvs as few to do with ocaml for the final user, we could consider
> shipping it away from cameleon (i.e. with cameleon that doesn't depend
> on it), _but_ if the library is worth while we can ship it as
> libcvs-ocaml{,-dev}.

  OCamlCVS and OCamlmake-o-matic are tools, not libraries.

> Regarding the latter (OCamlmake-o-matic), we can ship it as a standalone
> tool if it is worthwhile, or ship it with cameleon depending on it if
> this tool is somewhat integrated with other tools.

  Stefano, since you already packaged some bits of cameleon, would you like
  to be co-maintainer on it?
  I can see if we can store the debian directory in Debian CVS, hence
  we could work in team.

  I can propose a first version of the packaging we would work on.

> Cheers.
>
> [1] I already have packaged ioxml that can be found at my repository
> caristudenti.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro/debian, but never uploaded it; I used
> the name ocaml-ioxml

  I'm interested in integrating this.

Jérôme Marant