Re: Plans [Re: Cameleon 1.0]

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 11:19:59AM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:
>   Most of the libs do not provide shared versions. I think it is fine
>   because they are rather small

Even better, I've listed both the -dev and the other version for
completeness.

> > Then, surely MLChat can be not packaged, or packaged as an example (do
> > we really need it?).
>
>   Or simply not ship it.

Perhaps, we have to look if this is a useful program or not. I'm
defintely against the approach "package this chat program only because
it is written in ocaml", but if it is better than other talk approach
... why not?

> > If they aren't integrated is probably better to split a binary package
> > for each tool (each of which should depends on the needed libraries) and
> > then have a "cameleon" package which depends only on the _tools_.
>
>   That's what I intend to do.

Agreed, so this tools are not integrated? Right? (this is not a
criticism, I just want to know if there is a single entry point, like an
IDE, or not)

>   OCamlCVS and OCamlmake-o-matic are tools, not libraries.

OCamlmake-o-matic ok, but from the description of OCamlCVS seems that
there is also a library, have you checked it?

>   Stefano, since you already packaged some bits of cameleon, would you like
>   to be co-maintainer on it?

Sure, I've already proposed it IIRC.
BTW, we have to look for some debian 'official' handling of
comaintainership, I've seen something like that somewhere, probably on
the PTS.

>   I can see if we can store the debian directory in Debian CVS, hence
>   we could work in team.

If not, we can work directly on the upstream CVS, obviously with the
upstream consensus, what do you think about it, Maxence?

>   I can propose a first version of the packaging we would work on.

Good for me, I've still one package pending (lablgtkmathview) to
complete the 3.06 transition, next I can start looking at cameleon.

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney