Re: dh_strip and -X

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 06:42:23PM +0100, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 07:55:09PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>
> > These are not "standard" executable, see my just posted reply.
>
> Can you send me a small executable like that one in question? I would
> really like to take a look what is going on there.

well, the problem occurs when using the -custom flag to the ocamlc compiler,
and not in the normal use of it.

What this did in the pre-3.04 versions of ocaml is buuilsd a program wich uses
external C libraries. It packages all of the stuff in a file, which is
identified as a standard elf executable by file, which contains the standard
elf/C stuff, plus an embedded virtual machine plus the bytecode of the
executable to be run on the virtual machine, which makes call to the C
libraries andother such stuff.

Since ocaml 3.04, you only need to use the -custom flag if you want to use the
static linking of the C library stubs, i don't think it causes problems when
linking these stubs dynamically.

Anyway, you can look at the mldvi package (which is in debian) and the mldvi
program there for such an example, please keep us informed of your researches,
and cc any reply to the debian-ocaml-maint list for further discution.

I don't include the mldvi program, since it is 300 Ko, but if you cannot fetch
it from the mldvi program, please ask me and i will send it to you privately.

Here is more info on it :

$ file mldvi
mldvi: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically
linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
$ strip mldvi
$ ./mldvi
No bytecode file specified.