Re: dh_strip and -X

Sven <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 06:42:23PM +0100, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 07:55:09PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> >
> > > These are not "standard" executable, see my just posted reply.

Indeed. But they are labelled as such, which is wrong.

> Anyway, you can look at the mldvi package (which is in debian) and the mldvi
> program there for such an example, please keep us informed of your researches,
> and cc any reply to the debian-ocaml-maint list for further discution.

After some careful analysis of mldvi I have come to the conclusion
that this file violates the ELF standard. Specifically it seems to
contain additional data that is not mentioned in any one of the ELF
indices. It's no wonder that most of the GNU binutils will silently
drop this additional data (strip being the one in question, but a
no-op "objcopy mldvi mldvi2" will also remove it). I think binutils
are doing the right thing here.

What the ocaml compiler should do is not just tag data onto the end of
the file but put it into a proper ELF section. Either an existing one
(e.g. ".data") or a new one (e.g. "bytecode"). Using the BFD library
that should not be that hard, and it's true to the extensible spirit
of ELF.

--
Robbe