Re: new ocaml (3.04-2) packages vailable for testing

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 06:12:01PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 07:01:33PM +0100, Sven wrote:
> > Mmm, i was afraid of that, so should we keep the split, and use a recommends,
> > or not split it.
>
> IMO is better avoid splitting: ocaml contains a compiler and distribute
> a compiler without support for a piece of the native language is not
> really professional.
> Anyway, if you really want to, you can split and write in the
> README.Debian that installation of camlp4 package is needed to support
> stream.

We could further split the ocaml package as follows :

 1) the ocaml-base, with ocamlrun, it's manpage, and the dllxxx.so files.

 2) the ocaml metapackage depending on :

   2a) camlp4

   2b) ocaml-toplevel (ocaml)

   2c) ocaml-bytecode (ocamlc and .cmi/.cma/.cmo files)

   2d) ocaml-nativecode (ocamlopt and .cmx/.o/.cmxa files)

   2e) ocaml-tools (already taken name, need to find another) (with
       ocamllex/yacc and such)

This would assuredly make the individual packages smaller (camlp4 is 1.2 MB,
while ocaml is 5.4 MB or so).

But then we could just keep one big fat package.

Friendly,

Sven Luther