Re: new ocaml (3.04-2) packages vailable for testing

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 11:44:44AM +0100, Remi VANICAT wrote:
> Sven <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>
> > I forgot :
> >
> >    o test if ocaml works fine without installing camlp4 (in particular with
> >      regard to streams). Does somebody have any information about
> >    this ?
>
> yes. streams parser doesn't work anymore without camlp4 eg :
> moi@debian:~$ ocaml
>         Objective Caml version 3.04
>
> # let f = parser
>     [< ''a' >] -> ();;
> Syntax error
> # #load "camlp4o.cma";;
> 	Camlp4 Parsing version 3.04
>
> # let f = parser
> val f : char Stream.t -> unit = <fun>
> #

Mmm, i was afraid of that, so should we keep the split, and use a recommends,
or not split it.

BTW, camlp4 + ocaml is 5.2MB, ocaml is 4.2MB and camlp4 is 1.2MB.

Should we consider splitting ocaml more in order to have smaller files (in
particular, we could move ocamlopt, ocamlc.opt, ocaomlopt.opt and ocamllex.opt
into a ocaml-native package, or maybe only the xxx.opt executables).