Re: task packages ???

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 08:51:23AM -0800, Randolph Chung wrote:
> > Ok, will do, basically, it goes as this :
> >
> > Task: ocaml
> > Section: devel
> [...]
> > We are still discussing this on the debian-ocaml-maint mailing list.
>
> When you've decided on the final list pls file a bug.

Ok, ...

when is the deadline for potato inclusion ?

> > BTW, is it better to do 2 tasks, one for the base stuff, the other for
> > additional libraries, maybe not separated as above, or one lone big task, in
> > order to not confuse the users ?
>
> One is better IMO.

Ok, thought so also ....

> > mmm, tricky thing here, how do you hope to discriminate between the tasks ? Do
> > you have some kind of statistic on usage, or count downloads or something such ?
>
> It is a subjective decision, the 10% is just a guideline that we try to
> follow. The rationale for this is that if there are too many task
> packages listed in tasksel, it defeats the purpose of having an
> interface for new users that is very easy to understand.
>
> I think ocaml is borderline. Joey, what do you think?

So, if this don't works out, we should do meta packages ?

Why not have more tasks, but classify them by levels of easiness or something
such ?

> The alternative to "tasks" are metapackages. For example, there is an
> x-window-system-core metapackage.

mmm, i thought these were obsolet, but i guess it is just that the task- was
dropped from the metapackage name.

In this case, it would be better to have 2 or more metapackages, or one alone
?