Re: lablgtk & findlib

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 05:42:04PM +0100, Claudio Sacerdoti Coen wrote:
> > Anyway, i don't know anything about the META files, and am lacking time right
> > now, but if you can provide me with them, i will gladly include them in my
> > next lablgtk package.
>
>  Well, the ones that works for me is the simplest one you can provide.
>  You find it in attachment (it is really small). If you put it in the
>  same directory in which all the files are installed (which should
>  be /usr/lib/ocaml/lablgtk), you have to name it just META.
>
> > But, i am still waiting for ocaml, lablgl and lablgtk to reach stable, and
> > before that happens, i will not release a new version of lablgtk, so this may
> > take some time (for m68k to build lablgtk, and that the hppa autobuild work
> > again, i am building them myself on sarti right now, and then for the
> > 'stability' time needed for sid packages to go into woody). Right now, the
> > lablgl for arm and sparc in testing will not work with ocaml 3.02, since it
> > was built with 3.01, and lablgtk is not even in testing. So don't feel strange
> > if there is a little delay in the new lablgtk packages appearing.
>
>  ;-) What a mess! By the way, I have not really understood ;-)
>  Do you mean that the next package will be for ocaml-3.03 only? A brave choice!

No, the problem is that the build dependency for lablgl was only ocaml, and
not a precise version of it, and i did upload the packages for ocaml, lablgl
and lablgtk at the same time.

So when the autobuilder did pick it up, the sparc and arm autobuilders did
pick up the lablgl package before the ocaml one, and built it with ocaml 3.01,
which causes incompatible .cmi, blocked the build of lablgtk (that is how i
became aware of the problem) and created the mess.

I now did the propper build dependencies, and this will never happen, but i
will need for all the arches to be in sync, to be sure the packages go into
woody, before doing a new upload.

This is the price we pay for having this nice unstable/testing architecture,
but anyway, it is supposed to speed up release, so lets see how it works up.

> > BTW, i guess the problem is the same for lablgl, isn't it ?
>
>  Well, in practice if you develop a library L2 that depends on another
>  library L1 and you want L2 to use findlib, than you need L1 to provide
>  a META file. My library does not depend on lablgl. So I don't need

The lablgtk debian package depends on lablgl :

luther@iliana:~$ dpkg -s lablgtk
Package: lablgtk
Section: devel
Installed-Size: 8174
Maintainer: Sven Luther <luther@debian.org>
Version: 1.2.1-2
Depends: ocaml (>= 3.02), ocaml (<< 3.03), lablgl (>= 0.95), gdk-imlib1,
gtkglarea5, libart2 (>= 1.2.13-5), libaudiofile0, libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7), libdb3
(>= 3.2.9-1), libesd0 (>= 0.2.22-4) | libesd-alsa0 (>= 0.2.22-4), libgl1,
libglade-gnome0, libglade0, libglib1.2 (>= 1.2.0), libgnome32 (>= 1.2.13-5),
libgnomesupport0 (>= 1.2.13-5), libgnomeui32 (>= 1.2.13-5), libgtk1.2 (>=
1.2.10-1), libgtkxmhtml1 (>= 1.2.13-5), libjpeg62, libncurses5 (>=
5.2.20010310-1), libpng2 (>= 1.0.12), libxml1 (>= 1:1.8.14-3), xlibs (>>
4.1.0), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.3)
 lablgtk contains bindings for gtk+ and ocaml. It includes gtkglarea bindings
 to be used with the OpenGL bindings of the lablgl package.

The lablgl package has no such dependencies :

luther@iliana:~$ dpkg -s lablgl
Package: lablgl
 LablGL is an OpenGL interface for Objective Caml. Since it includes
 support for the Togl widget, you can comfortably use it with LablTk.
 A GtkGlarea binding for use with lablgtk is also provided.

Also, i did a small file magic file that extracts the versons of .cmis and
such. Maybe you could add it to findlib so that it would test that the files
are of a compattible build ?