Re: on ocaml-extra-libs

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 12:36:12PM +0200, Georges Mariano wrote:
> OK, I understand your point (and to some extent, I agree with you)
> Size of packages may or may not be a question, rigth. But, in fact I
> have another point in my mind which I didn't express before...
> One argument to gather some libs together is "curiosity" !!

think about the perl packaging on debian.
There exists a lot of little debian package which contain a few modules
all which the same 'argument', so we have libxml-perm liburi-perl and so
on.
In our case the modules we are talking about are not so related to each
other to fit in a single bundle of library IMHO, when we will have a lot
of similar library we may build a bundle of library in a single package.
So we may will have libxml-ocaml with contain not only pxp parser but
thousand of xml parser for ocaml.
Now, is not a valid reason having only a few packages, to aggregate them
in a larger package IMHO.

> Avoiding me to write two separate mails, may I take the place to write
> some words about how I "see" the place of ocaml-findlib :
[snip]
> c) what I do not "accept" (from an "intellectual" point of view) is the
> fact that installing pxp requires installing findlib ... what's the
> relationship between XML parsing and OCaml packages management ?
> So, I can't see any reason preventing users, who don't want findlib, to
> switch it off...
> It would be nice to get PXP (or whatever) without findlib, but if
> findlib is available on the target Debian boxe, then PXP (or whatever)
> registers itself in the database ...
> (just think at findlib like at our "dh_install_ocaml_deb" ?? )

I agree on this point, but now I'm packaging pxp, netstring and similar
with the dependencies on findlib, in future I will relax this need in an
optional need.
I think is better having quickly the modules and next improve the
modules' affordance.

> Georges
> (who's sticked at home after a bug in his wife's car, may be a
> dpkg-reconfigure is needed...)

When is expected the new version of the Georges package ? :-)

--
	- Zack -

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@cs.unibo.it> ICQ# 33538863
Home Page: http://www.students.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
Undergraduate Student of Computer Science at University of Bologna, Italy
SysAdm of verdicchio.students.cs.unibo.it (130.136.3.134)
	"Information wants to be Open"