Re: status of debian-np

> Stalled. Not stopped. :)
>
> There was a release last december and then a flurry of activity in May
> and things have sort of moved a little more slowly since then. I have
> a mind to make another *better* release of a more heavy-weight
> GNOME-based CD modeled after the last one except *better.*
>
> There is work (and lots of talk) on three projects:
>
>  * A GNOME-based desktop
>  * A lightweight desktop system to run on older compututers.
>  * A server-based system

also, i've been working with enrico, based on some ideas from otavio, to
create a very simple custom debian distribution, by giving it a list of
packages and debconf selections.

it works, but could use some fine-tuning.

if you'd like to try it:

svn co svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-np/people/vagrant/simple-cdd/ simple-cdd

(svn is in the "subversion" package)

the README has some simple instructions.  it pretty much amounts to
installing debpartial-mirror and debian-cd, editing a package list and
debconf pre-seeding file, and running a script to build the CD image.

i've been working on this so that freegeek may have installation CDs for
the up-and-coming freekbox3, but tried to do it in a simple yet flexible
way so that it could be useful to anyone wanting a custom cd.

when i've got it working a little better, with support for some simple
profiles and cleaned up the configuration file(it's way too long and
verbose), i'd like to make a debian package out of it.

live well,
  vagrant