Re: Some observations and suggestions

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Craig Larsen wrote:

> One problem I've noticed with small non-profits is the complete lack of
> IT knowledge.  Many NPs either get volunteers to set up their IT
> infrastructure or contract it out.  This means that they generally have
> a difficult time doing very simple things like backing up their systems
> or even installing software.  While a CD solution like knoppix/morphix
> could be very useful, I've come across people with machines that don't
> boot off of CD first and they have no idea how to change the bios to
> allow for such things.  This means just because the NP has a knoppix CD,
> they might not be able to use it.

I agree, this is the first major hurdle with doing this. I know
knoppix has some clear instructions on how to make this work, but this
is still a difficult concept for many and I don't know how to get
around this without some very clear documentation. :p

> However, one thing that can almost be taken for granted is that most NPs
> now have internet access.

I am not so sure about this statement. Many of a certain level in the
US might have internet access, but I wouldn't say that all do.

> It seemed to me that one way to help these small NPs was to offer
> web-based applications.  Since most desktops had at least a web browser,
> it would be possible for NPs to immediately have access to web-based
> email, groupware (like phpgroupware), etc..  This would allow them to
> wean themselves from the Windows system without having the IT admin
> burden although someone else would still have to be hosting these
> applications.  Hopefully, some other IT centric non-profit could do just

Some people have mentioned having ASP type services integrated with
this subproject, so that it would be simple to drag your files into a
folder to back them up to a remote server, or provide
opengroupware.org integration with their existing microsoft products,
etc. riseup.net is looking into providing some of these services, as
we already provide a number of online services to activists (as well
does autistici who is participating in this project).

> Please let me know how I can get more involoved with this project.

participate in the mailing list, translate a web page if you can, make
a logo, jump in and start putting something together... find other
things that need to be done :)

micah