Some observations and suggestions

Congratulations on the new debian sub-project!  I've been thinking of
such things for over 6 months now and I'm glad to see somebody else is
on the same wavelength.

One problem I've noticed with small non-profits is the complete lack of
IT knowledge.  Many NPs either get volunteers to set up their IT
infrastructure or contract it out.  This means that they generally have
a difficult time doing very simple things like backing up their systems
or even installing software.  While a CD solution like knoppix/morphix
could be very useful, I've come across people with machines that don't
boot off of CD first and they have no idea how to change the bios to
allow for such things.  This means just because the NP has a knoppix CD,
they might not be able to use it.

The other rather simple problem, much like the larger problem with using
Linux on the desktop is the client acceptance of new software or ways of
doing things.  People who are not technologically savvy do not like to
change radically for fear of not being able to accomplish what they
already can.

A third problem has been mentioned before which is legacy Windows
software.  Most NPs may have legacy databases that work with windows
software and if they don't have an IT person, they certainly don't have
a DB admin who can transfer the database to something Linux based (if
possible at all).

However, one thing that can almost be taken for granted is that most NPs
now have internet access.

It seemed to me that one way to help these small NPs was to offer
web-based applications.  Since most desktops had at least a web browser,
it would be possible for NPs to immediately have access to web-based
email, groupware (like phpgroupware), etc..  This would allow them to
wean themselves from the Windows system without having the IT admin
burden although someone else would still have to be hosting these
applications.  Hopefully, some other IT centric non-profit could do just
that.  Then, as the NP grew and had more IT knowledge, they could make
the leap to a knoppix/morphix based server that would give them the same
in-house capabilities and allow them to move to software like Evolution
and other Linux desktop apps.

The only thing missing is initial hardware support and networking which
can be provided by like-minded IT shops or internally in larger NPs.

Ideally, there would be a seamless growth plan from small NP to large
where IT services would be provided in a way that the small NP doesn't
even need to know the details and the larger NP finds its IT
administrations very simplified.

Please let me know how I can get more involoved with this project.

Craig Larsen