Introduction

I understand an introduction requested so ...

My name is Jim Hall. I was pointed to this list by another member of our local Linux Users Group. Most likely because it sounds like what I need. I've been doing a lot of volunteer work recently (hence my email name) in two basic areas: church and a grass roots group I started.

The group is named Computers Hand-to-Hand. we take older donated computers, refurbish them, install an OS (Linux and Mac only!) and needed software, then pass them on to people who can't afford to buy one. The local Mac and Linux users groups cooperate in this program (we didn't even ask the Windows group).

At church I helped set up the first computer lab our church has had. I teach some very basic classes ("you can touch it, it won't bite"), and am a member of the computer lab committee. I've been advocating Linux use for 2-3 years and finally have a Linux computer in the building. Some of the Windows software being used can be replaced with Linux apps now, but some can't. Everything has to run on the same OS, so dual boot won't work. This project may help. I can't speak for the church, but I may be able to do testing and tell you what they need. I see most of the discussion has been about secular groups. I hope you can consider religious groups as well since a lot of "helping people" work is done by them.

From what I've seen so far, you folks are way over my head. Because of what I do, I'm very interested in this project, but I couldn't program my way out of a wet paper bag. I still may be able to contribute from my area if you can use me.

Jim