Re: Possible source of funding?

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 06:38:05PM -0400, Barry King wrote:
> I came across this today (below) and wonder if there is room in the
> OSI's ITC initiative for helping to realize the Debian-NP
> distribution(s) and some tailoring of packages to specifically support
> open/civil society NGOs.
>
> Not to get hopes up, as a whole Linux distribution may not mesh with
> their needs exactly, but on cost-for-quality, utility and
> sustainability, Debian has a lot going for it.

I have two sets of feelings about this. First, I think it's
*essential* to create a viable volunteer project first. I want the
software's value to come from within, not from the fact that someone
plopped a pile of money down. Volunteer labor and institutional
independence are one way to assure that. We should be careful with how
we get and spend money.

That said, getting money for these self-valorizing projects sounds
thrilling. There is software we need to write (new applications) that
will be difficult to write in any short amount of time without paying
developers for their time. I say this because some of us have been
waiting for years already.

I don't have a lot of experience writing grant proposals but it's
something I'd be very interested in getting involved in if there are
people on the lists interested in doing this. If there are people that
have experience writing grants and can help, I would be thrilled to
work with you on this. The money is for infrastructures, meetings, etc
or for focused development in the most simple case.

> I'd like to help sound it out/draft a proposal if we can define a clear
> target or two.  Is there anyone at SPI who could administer it if a
> 501c3 status (U.S. charitable corporation) is required?

I am on the SPI board of directors. I can't make decisions on my own
but I can certainly brings things to the rest of the board. :)

Regards,
Mako

--
Benj. Mako Hill