Re: Vasyl Gello: Declaration of intent to become a DC+account

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 12:30:25PM +0000, Vasyl Gello wrote:
> Having 19.0 with new features like PVR catchup support available only
> on Ubuntu made me to package it for buster/amd64.  Now I run the
> intranet private repo which allows me to update Kodi on my local hosts
> in unattended mode.
>
> Later on, I decided to reach Balint & offer the patches I prepared for
> 19.0. He told me to register on Salsa and make a merge request against
> experimental branch. Also he motivated me to start packaging stuff
> because Kodi 18 uses Python2 which is deprecated and Kodi 19 uses
> Python3.

Nice, this is very commandable.  In fact, it's very similar to the
reason I got into Debian back then (I wanted a better scribus :P).

> I filed the ITPs and RFSs for libshairplay & libudfread because Balint
> mentioned he has no sponsoring rights.

I'm very confused about "Balint has no sponsoring rights".  Balint is a
DD and a member of the multimedi team, and as such he has all the rights
needed to sponsor packages.
Perhaps you mean that he no spare time?

Reading fully now (for the first time, sorry) your original mail in
-multimedia I read this from Balint:
    2. I can help with upgrading Kodi to 19.x in unstable and with staging
    it in experimental, but I can't commit myself to sponsoring uploads to
    buster-backports. Please find someone who can help you with that.
Which means that he _can_ help you get all of your packages uploaded.
Though, probably, he is running low on time like many others.

For myself, I could handle a couple of RFSes, but the time I can
dedicate to Debian is even thinner than usual these months so I really
can't look after a whole stack of packages I know nothing about. :(
If you think you hit a wall in finding sponsors (or anything else,
really) for a particular package feel free to mail me privately as I'm
most likely to not pick up general requests myself.

> For the reason of no replies in debian-multimedia, I started filing requests on my own

I think that's the right path, yes!!

> I will close the request later on and fix remaining package todos :)

I think the only decent path forward for you is to slowly crunch through
the list of packages that make up Kodi, likely just working closely with
Balint (and/or others) to have everything uploaded to experimental.
When it comes the time to backport everything feel free to head to
debian-backports@lists.d.o: usually people there do reply when somebody
asks for directions on uploading to backports.  Either there or
debian-mentors@.  Uploading a backports is comparatively a much much
easier task than sponsoring to unstable/experimental, so that's actually
the easiest step of everything.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo