Re: Ross Vandegrift: Declaration of intent

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 11:00:51PM +0200, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> I'm basically fine with everything, and with you being a contributor for
> quite some time already (2016 at least) I'm not that fussy as I've been
> in other cases.  Just it's nowadays not so common going directly to
> DD,upload without having been DM for a while before, and your packaging
> activity doesn't really show any interest in the rest of the archive.

Can DD non uploading be combined with an access list like DM?  That
would seem like a possible route.

> Due to that, whilst I can appreciate that e17 may not be exactly an easy
> package to deal with, it also doesn't exactly show you have a wide
> enough knowledge about packaging and procedures (like,

> have you ever done a NMU or already know the rules?

Yes once, before joining pkg-e and acting as a team member.  I remember
the main ideas (cooperate with the maintainer, be clear about
intentions), but would need to check dev ref for details since it's been
a few years.

> QA uploads?

No - never done one, but I'm aware that they are for orphaned packages.

> library transitions?

Yes, efl transitioned from 1.8 -> 1.18 when moving from experimental to
sid.  I mostly understood the process, though I had lots of help.

> package removals?

Yes, I have requested removal for obsolete packages.

> Try going through nm_ts.txt, nm_ts_extras.txt and nm_ts_followup.txt
> in https://salsa.debian.org/nm-team/nm-templates/ and think whether
> you know the answers to them, or at least know where to go to read up
> about such matters.  IMHO that's a good indicator you are ready to
> apply).

zobel suggested this too, and I have started going through these.  So
far, I'm either familiar or have been able to find out.

> I can also stop worrying over your application if you find some
> advocate(s) other than Andreas Metzler :)

As far as packaging, I won't be able to find another advocate.  The only
person to have reviewed my packages has been MIA for some time (Albin
Tonnerre).

Steve McIntyre has advocated for cloud team work, but so far, that
doesn't include packaging.

Ross