Re: Ross Vandegrift: Declaration of intent

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 09:21:46AM -0700, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> My understanding from folks on the cloud team was that I'd need DD for
> access to casulana, pettersson, and new mirror infrastructure that's in
> the works.

Right.

> Given that I also work on the enlightenment packaging, the question was
> should I request uploading or non-uploading?  Andreas currently sponsors
> the pkg-e uploads, so I asked him for input.  He suggested uploading.

Probably uploading indeed.

> But maybe I've misunderstood the available options.  Is there a
> different plan that you'd suggest?

The options are:

* guest account → gives you time-limited access to porter boxes, and
  potentially also to caulana &friends if DSA can be convinced - but
  they expressed thoughts that access to such core project machines
  (casulana and stuff are not even dd-accessible!) probably is enough
  to warrant DDship
* DM → gives you upload rights for a limited set of packages
* DM with guest account → both of the above
* dd non upload → gives you access to all dd-accessible machines, and
  upload rights for limited set of packages
* dd upload → gives you access to all dd-accessible machines, and upload
  rights for all the archive

I'm basically fine with everything, and with you being a contributor for
quite some time already (2016 at least) I'm not that fussy as I've been
in other cases.  Just it's nowadays not so common going directly to
DD,upload without having been DM for a while before, and your packaging
activity doesn't really show any interest in the rest of the archive.
Due to that, whilst I can appreciate that e17 may not be exactly an easy
package to deal with, it also doesn't exactly show you have a wide
enough knowledge about packaging and procedures (like, have you ever
done a NMU or already know the rules?  QA uploads?  library transitions?
package removals? Try going through nm_ts.txt, nm_ts_extras.txt and
nm_ts_followup.txt in https://salsa.debian.org/nm-team/nm-templates/ and
think whether you know the answers to them, or at least know where to go
to read up about such matters.  IMHO that's a good indicator you are
ready to apply).

I can also stop worrying over your application if you find some
advocate(s) other than Andreas Metzler :)

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :