Re: Aw: Re: Unit 193: Declaration of intent

Hi,

[I can't help but assume this as a troll, but still replying.]

On ബുധന്‍ 13 ജൂലൈ 2016 04:23 വൈകു, Michael Ole Olsen wrote:
> If you cannot stand behind your work with your real name, you should not be in Debian IMO

Why? Debian is following meritocracy, AFAIK. Your contribution towards Debian
matters, nothing else.

> I'm already starting becoming paranoid with the many new uploaders, debian has gotten large by now.

How's that a problem?

> What is the problem with using real name?
> If you don't want to be found on google, you can hide your middle name...

It isn't a question of something being "problem" or not. Contributors should
have the right to use a pseudonym, as that can in no way hinder their contribution.

> But nicknames or anonymous people, that's a dangerous trend....

Why?

> Debian project is not a project that is endangering people who develop on it... NSA is not going to trace you more because you work on debian likely, they're busy with the encryption people likely.

NSA [= anybody] tracing us is not the only reason we would want to use a pseudonym.

> Debian is like any other opensource project, GNU etc.
> We want to know who we can contact if things break, and any developer should preferably be open to be contacted too... that would be a responsible way to do things. Have a contact mail.

We have BTS[1] for that.

> The Debian project does not fit in a high risk project group I think
> i.e. some may want to bribe developers if they know real name, or even hurt developers...

Again, it is not the question of "Risk". It is just damn individual choice.

[1] https://www.debian.org/Bugs/

--
Balasankar C
http://balasankarc.in