Aw: Re: Unit 193: Declaration of intent

If you cannot stand behind your work with your real name, you should not be in Debian IMO

I'm already starting becoming paranoid with the many new uploaders, debian has gotten large by now.

What is the problem with using real name?
If you don't want to be found on google, you can hide your middle name...

But nicknames or anonymous people, that's a dangerous trend....
Debian project is not a project that is endangering people who develop on it... NSA is not going to trace you more because you work on debian likely, they're busy with the encryption people likely.

Thanks for a great work to all the debian devs, I've been using since 1998 or so on all my machines.
Just works, although I think sometimes releases come out too quick lately, sometimes they refuse to install on weird architectures, or find apt pkgs for amd64 or stuff like that.

Debian is like any other opensource project, GNU etc.
We want to know who we can contact if things break, and any developer should preferably be open to be contacted too... that would be a responsible way to do things. Have a contact mail.

The Debian project does not fit in a high risk project group I think
i.e. some may want to bribe developers if they know real name, or even hurt developers...

Such illegal criminal activity exists in every part of society.
If we had to make excemptions for everything, it would be an insane world.

I'm already very offended by the constant SSL everywhere, so now I cannot browse without nonssl browsers.

It's like fixing things the opposite way.
Instead of fixing the NSA, now we enforce SSL on 5 billion people, every webpage in the world. Add xx% load more, and cert annoyances.

If you are afraid of your anonymity/life, hire a bodyguard, use TOR, leave out middlename

Maybe debian policy should allow developers to use a fake lastname (if well accounted for..)?
that would be responsible to do...., and have them sign a physical document with their real name

I can maybe envision some cases where I would not want my fullname to turn up on google as a 'debian dev' i.e.
Here such a thing could work.

btw. I am not a dev.

Sincerely,
Michael Ole Olsen