Re: bits from the NM process: advocacy, no more AM reports, AMs needed

On 05/29/2012 11:15 AM, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 05:34:35PM +0200, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
>
>> software. Admittedly, it is using a minified version of the libraries
>> but I still would not qualify that by "non-free". The rest of the JS
>
> Good point about the minified JS. I'm using the minified versions
> that are shipped with JQuery sources, but I don't know how they have
> been generated.
>
> I wouldn't object to having only the original javascript library sources
> in nm.d.o's git and then building the minified versions at deploy time
> with tools available in Debian, if someone could show me what tools are
> available that work and do an acceptable job.

According to jQuery's Makefile, is generated with uglify.js which is released
with the MIT license and shipped along with jQuery's source-code that anyone can
download at git://github.com/jquery/jquery.git . All you need to build jQuery as
shipped by jQuery itself is shipped there, in the sources, so I believe is a
dummy thing to do it yet again, for the same results with the same tools, and if
in doubt ask Einstein how's called someone that does the very same thing, with
the very same tools and expects a different result.

Enrico, as a web developer that I am: _thanks_ for using JavaScript in an
official webtool of Debian. Is was about time we start writing things that
_work_ using all the available technologies, is called pragmatism and Debian
needs bunches of it.

Regards.
--
Jose Luis Rivas - GPG: 0x7C4DF50D / 0xCACAB118
The Debian Project Developer -- http://ghostbar.ath.cx