Re: Help with nm.debian.org icons

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 07:24:20AM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:34:52AM +0100, Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
>
> > Just to get an understanding of what you wanted, I created one possible
> > icon [0]: adv_ok.png. Obviously, it should reflect the status when
> > advocacies went in and were accepted. It's primitive, a simple progress
> > bar and an icon from [1] set somewhere on top of the progress bar to
> > reflect the state of the application. Is that what you had in mind?
> >
> > [0] http://people.debian.org/~jhr/adv_ok.png
> > [1] http://openiconlibrary.sourceforge.net/gallery2/?./Icons/status/mail-signed-verified.png
>
> Yes, that's what I was thinking when I mentioned the idea of shaping
> things like progressbars.
>
> If progress is represented with the progressbar itself instead of the
> icon position, one could be able to use multiple icons: since there are
> recurring patterns (am/fd/dam; waiting in a queue/getting
> processed/being on hold), it could simplify the graphical language quite
> a bit.

I'm not good with graphical stuff and I'm not sure I get what you want
here. My idea was: the white/blue bar remains the same for all icons. On
top of it are several kinds of icons that represent a state in the
process. Of those we would only need about 5 icons that are only
slightly modified, e.g. some icon that represents "on hold" would be
used with little letters "AM", "FD", and "DAM" on it (= one icon, three
times modified). That should make a uniform look. To represent the
progress I'd space out the icons on the "progress bar" from left to
right in the order of our progress definition.

Now, what is it that you would do differently? :)

Hauke

--
 .''`.   Jan Hauke Rahm <jhr@debian.org>               www.jhr-online.de
: :'  :  Debian Developer                                 www.debian.org