AM report for Alessandro Ghedini

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Alessandro
   Last name:       Ghedini
   Key fingerprint: A4F4 55C3 414B 1056 3FCC  9244 AFA5 1BD6 CDE5 73CB
   Account:         ghedo
   Forward email:   al3xbio@gmail.com

   ID check passed, key signed by 4 existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:

pub   4096R/CDE573CB 2010-10-29
      Key fingerprint = A4F4 55C3 414B 1056 3FCC  9244 AFA5 1BD6 CDE5 73CB
uid                  Alessandro Ghedini <al3xbio@gmail.com>
sig!         57159E59 2011-11-26  Free Ekanayaka <free@64studio.com>
sig!         797EBFAB 2011-12-09  Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>
sig!         0E2B1756 2012-01-16  Francesco Namuri <franam@debian.org>
sig!         D9D59F61 2011-12-09  Francesca Ciceri <madamezou@zouish.org>
sig!3        CDE573CB 2010-10-29  Alessandro Ghedini <al3xbio@gmail.com>
sig!3        CDE573CB 2011-02-10  Alessandro Ghedini <al3xbio@gmail.com>
sig!3        CDE573CB 2011-03-17  Alessandro Ghedini <al3xbio@gmail.com>
uid                  Alessandro Ghedini <alexbio@cpan.org>
uid                  Alessandro Ghedini <aghedini@cs.unibo.it>
sig!         57159E59 2011-11-26  Free Ekanayaka <free@64studio.com>
sig!         797EBFAB 2011-12-09  Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>
sig!         0E2B1756 2012-01-16  Francesco Namuri <franam@debian.org>
sig!         D9D59F61 2011-12-09  Francesca Ciceri <madamezou@zouish.org>
sig!3        CDE573CB 2011-03-17  Alessandro Ghedini <al3xbio@gmail.com>
sig!3        CDE573CB 2010-10-29  Alessandro Ghedini <al3xbio@gmail.com>
sig!3        CDE573CB 2010-10-29  Alessandro Ghedini <al3xbio@gmail.com>
sig!3        CDE573CB 2010-10-29  Alessandro Ghedini <al3xbio@gmail.com>
sub   4096R/9A7BDF04 2010-10-29
sig!         CDE573CB 2010-10-29  Alessandro Ghedini <al3xbio@gmail.com>

Key is OpenPGP version 4 or greater.
Key has 4096 bits.
Valid "e" flag, no expiration.
Valid "s" flag, no expiration.

2. Background
-------------
   Applicant writes:

I am a 20 years old Computer Science student from Bologna, Italy, which is
where I was born and currently live. I started using GNU/Linux regularly in
October 2006 when I was in high school, with Ubuntu 6.04 and switched to
Debian Sid after a year or so (I also used the Knppix Live CD once, but that
was just to backup some files before re-installing Windows when it stopped
working, and I didn't really know what I was doing).

The main reason that lead to the switch from Windows was that I felt
somehow limited by it (I think this is a pretty common reason, isn't it?):
I always enjoyed breaking things and then fixing them, and my computer made
no exception, but Windows didn't quite let me do whatever I wanted. The
change was not as painful as I first thought (but I've had difficult times
nevertheless) mainly because Ubuntu was really easy to use (not as much as
it is now though) and had those shiny graphical effects that Windows XP
hadn't. The successive step to Debian has been very natural, and the reason
was pretty much the same of the previous switch and the rolling nature of
Debian Sid.

My first contribution to free software happened in August 2009 when I
published my first Perl software on GitHub and then on CPAN (it was yet
another curses Twitter client, broken and dead now). I have had some
previous experiences in writing software on Windows (Visual Basic.NET) but
it wasn't really "free software". I started contributing to Debian only in
November 2010, when I sent my first RFS to debian-mentors for the alsaequal
package. From there I was redirected by Paul Wise to the Debian Multimedia
Maintainers team where I was warmly welcomed. After that I also joined the
Debian Perl Group (which is where most of my Debian time is spent now) and
started maintaining some packages on my own too.

The main reason that keeps me focused on contributing to Debian, and free
software in general, apart from making the system and tools I use every day
better and better, is that I really enjoy doing it. I have met quite some
very nice people (even if only on the net) and learned a lot of stuff, not
to mention that it is helping a lot in my studies (e.g. I was one of the
few people of my year that passed with full grades the test for the
laboratories' account and knew how to code in C, and without studying a
single minute!).

   Google says:

Confirms activity on CPAN and GitHub, as well as Debian and Ubuntu
involvement and patch submissions to the Linux kernel and curl amongst
others. Personal website at http://www.ghedini.me/, Ohloh account at
https://www.ohloh.net/accounts/ghedo

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Alessandro has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. He committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
-------------------
   Alessandro has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.

   He is maintainer of many packages, such as curl, xclip, gnome-pie,
   ulatencyd as well as being an active member of the Debian Perl and
   Multimedia teams.

   All packages are in good shape; there is an RC bug outstanding on
   curl which he is interacting with upstream about and expects to
   resolve with the next release due this month.

   Given his extensive contributions to Debian already (see attached
   minechangelogs covering normal package maintenance, updating to new
   upstream versions, dealing with security issues, working as part of
   a team and providing patches to other packages to fix issues) I did
   not feel the need to go through the formal T&S questions.

   I recommend to accept Alessandro as a Debian Developer.

J.

--
Why do I get the feeling I'm going to regret this?