Re: DM application for Gürkan Sengün

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Gürkan Sengün <gurkan@phys.ethz.ch> wrote:

I look forward to becoming a Debian Maintainer. Thanks for your attention.

I have a concern about this application:

There are 8 open RC bugs against his packages, none of them seem to
have any action on them by him and some date back to 2008.

I've already stressed him about some of these bugs, and AFAIK he
already contacted upstreams to correct him.  He never write to BTS
about status and his plans, which is bad for sponsoring his
packages (and for submitters).

I do acknowledge that Gürkan has a lot of packages, experiences
problems finding enough sponsors to help upload the packages he
maintains and that DM might give him the ability to maintain his
packages better.

Yes, he has too many packages (and too many are non-free which
are difficult to correct without upstream support).

My concerns:

- I fear him to be DM: he fails basic QA, and he send me
too often broken packages (now he learn pdebuild, but anyway...).
I'm worried because such trivial errors. I fear that with
direct upload right he will test less the packages.

- I feel also the aptitude "more and bad is better then nothing",
which doesn't very well suit to Debian objectives (IMO).

- I think he must have a deeper knowledge of the internal of his
packages (but OTOH it seems that it is not a strict requirement
to be able to patch own packages)

OTOH I find that Debian has a lot of advantages with his
contributions (also on non packaging tasks).

ciao
	cate