Re: Debian Maintainer application

* Raphael Geissert [Sat, 12 Jan 2008 16:23:27 -0600]:

> I'm quoting a conversation I had with David on December on #debian-mx.

Thanks for coming forward with this. If Damog referred to something
else or in addition, I hope he'll bring it up as well. Said that, I have
two comments and an addendum:

  * after reading the conversation, but without knowing Raphael, I can't
    see anything that should raise any concerns. From my own experience
    it's very natural for NMs to be very interested in meeting DDs, and
    not only for a signature: it's just something to look forward too.
    And, again IME, when you become a DD you become much more interested
    in meeting with new contributors, in case you can help them in any
    way.

  * I can't but state here that, if I'm reading it right, I find Damog's
    reaction in this conversation very childish, to say the least. After
    reading Raphael is interested in knowing if DDs will attend, he
    starts mocking him more or less like this:

      <Atomo64> yeah, I wanted to check who's going, particularly DDs
      <damog> DDs are not special. BSP != DD gathering, or it shouldn't
              be. you're discriminating against other people who would
              be able to help.

      [snip]

      <Atomo64> well, yeah, but I won't deny that I want my signature as
      well. and one from a DD is relatively worth more, at least
      regarding NM and DM.
      <damog> yes, there're people that you shouldn't bother signing or
      getting signed from
      <damog> it's the worthiness that counts

      [a bit later]

      <Atomo64> damog: could you sponsor me a package [... details ...]
      <damog> I'm only willing to work with DDs
      <damog> because, you know, the work from a DD has is relatively
      worth more
      [...]
      <damog> oh, forgot to say, only regarding packaging, of course

    If Damog wants to spread the spirit of not discriminating based on
    DDship, that would not be the way at all, let alone for a DD. (But
    sadly I can't say I'm surprised either.)

On the other hand, as an addendum, I have the impression that it could
be wiser to revisit DM for Raphael at some point in the future. I'm not
familiar with his packaging skills, but following from his efforts in
other areas, I see him as very enthusiastic and with abilities, but not
completely there yet. I encourage him to continue like this, and bring
this up again later, or try to get somebody who knows his packaging to
speak for him in this thread (afaics there hasn't been anybody).
(Raphael, I hope you don't get disappointed by this paragraph, and I'd
be more than happy to be proven wrong in my other activities ->
packaging skills deduction.)

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org