Re: Debian Maintainer application for Samuel Thibault

[If anyone reads this as advocating against Samuel, then please blame my
engrish. It is not in any way intended to be read like that]
On 2008-09-23, Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org> wrote:
> This is my declaration of intent to become a Debian Maintainer.
>
> I have read the Social Contract, DFSG and DMUP, and agree with all of
> them.
>
> I currently only maintain the speakup package, but also help maintaining
> the brltty, gnumach, hurd and glibc packages, and I have reported
> and provided patches for quite a few debian bugs, notably the
> accessibility support in the Debian Installer. I intend to mostly help
> on accessibility and Hurd packages, but also possibly the keyboard
> layouts and kernel maintenance.

Not that I have any grounds to question Samuel's skills -  I
have seen his name on lists and in bug reports and only remember
something positive.

But as debian maintainer is "being able to upload (some of) own packages", I
wonder a bit if it is the right thing to place Samuel there.
 - I would be surprised if glibc was a package being uploaded by non-DDs
 - ports is more about sending patches and occasionally doing porter
   NMUs

/Sune
 - more wondering about d-m in general than wondering about Samuel.