Re: Debian Maintainer application for Samuel Thibault

On 25/09/08 at 09:37 +0000, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> [If anyone reads this as advocating against Samuel, then please blame my
> engrish. It is not in any way intended to be read like that]
> On 2008-09-23, Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org> wrote:
> > This is my declaration of intent to become a Debian Maintainer.
> >
> > I have read the Social Contract, DFSG and DMUP, and agree with all of
> > them.
> >
> > I currently only maintain the speakup package, but also help maintaining
> > the brltty, gnumach, hurd and glibc packages, and I have reported
> > and provided patches for quite a few debian bugs, notably the
> > accessibility support in the Debian Installer. I intend to mostly help
> > on accessibility and Hurd packages, but also possibly the keyboard
> > layouts and kernel maintenance.
>
> Not that I have any grounds to question Samuel's skills -  I
> have seen his name on lists and in bug reports and only remember
> something positive.
>
> But as debian maintainer is "being able to upload (some of) own packages", I
> wonder a bit if it is the right thing to place Samuel there.
>  - I would be surprised if glibc was a package being uploaded by non-DDs
>  - ports is more about sending patches and occasionally doing porter
>    NMUs
>
> /Sune
>  - more wondering about d-m in general than wondering about Samuel.

Indeed. The real question is: Samuel, why aren't you on
https://nm.debian.org/nmlist.php yet? ;)

I mostly see DM as a way to make the long NM process more bearable. When
asked to advocate for NM or DM, I tend to ask myself:
- for DM: do I fully trust him to upload correct packages himself?
- for NM:
  + Do I think that he will be a great DD if he becomes one in 6 months?
  + Do I think that he has been around long enough so that going through
    NM now won't be too painful for his AM?

As a result, it already happened that I advocated someone for NM, that I
wouldn't have advocated at the same time for DM, because I felt that he
still had stuff to learn. But it would really be strange to advocate
someone for DM, but not advocate him for NM (if he wants to become a
DD).

I think that some people wrongly feel that they are not ready for NM,
while they are (I'm thinking of Chris Lamb for example, who is now a
DD). I'm not sure where that comes from. Maybe we should try to send the
signal that if people often think you are a DD, but you haven't started
NM yet, maybe there's a problem :-)