Re: Reforming the NM process

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:55:32 +0200, Sven Mueller <sven@incase.de> said:

> ... I would propose something along the lines of

> 1) Assign a prospective (co-)AM to an existing AM willing to mentor
> 2) Assign a NM to the co-AM

I think that before assigning a NM to the co-AM, the existing AM should
first process a NM with all mails Cc:ed or forwarded to the co-AM,
possibly accompanied by explanatory notes (e.g. why some questions are
asked, etc.)  This will help familiarize the co-AM with the NM process;
even if the co-AM just came out of NM, it's different observing another
NM application that it is going through your own.  This may have to be
repeated if the NM that gets assigned is a "too easy" case, where
there's nothing for the co-AM to learn.

(Alternatively, the existing AM can forward an mbox of some
already-processed NM to the prospective AM to look over.  But I, for
one, prefer seeing things happen in real time.)

> 3) Let co-AM process the NM, with the co-AM having the option to ask
>    his mentor for opinions or help (like: is answer A sufficient?)
> 4) Have co-AM write the NM report and pass it to his mentor
> 5) Have mentor check the report for correctness and completeness and
>    give appropriate feedback to his co-AM.
> 6) Once the prospective AM handled at least three consecutive NMs to
>    the full satisfaction of his mentor, "promote" him to a full AM.

I don't know if a formal "promotion" step is needed; I look at this more
as a confidence builder for the prospective AM, and to let him learn how
to be an AM while providing a safety net.  I think that, unless we start
getting a lot of bad AMs, they can be "promoted" once they feel they're
ready.  After all, they're already doing more preparation work than
what's expected from current AMs.

Sven, if you think that this is a good idea, and you'd like to learn how
to become an AM, I suggest that you ask around and see if there are any
AMs willing to be your AM mentor (possibly start by asking the AM who
processed your application), discuss with him to come up with a plan
(like what you wrote above), see if FD will go along with the plan, try
it out, and let us know how it goes.  I don't see anything in the
current system that would prevent you from trying it out, if FD
approves.

(I can't try it out yet, since I'm still in NM...)

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)