Re: Reforming the NM process

On 12/04/2006 22:24, Hubert Chan wrote:
> Maybe we need a debian-am-mentors system for AMs, like we have
> debian-mentors for maintainers, for when AMs have questions about AM
> tasks.
>
> I remember a suggestion from a long time ago about having new AMs co-AM
> with more experienced AMs.  It would add a bit of overhead initially,
> but hopefully should be a net-improvement by getting more new AMs more
> quickly.

I think these are both very good ideas. Though (or because) I only just
received my Debian account, I would really like to help in the NM
process. However, having some way of receiving help (like through some
sort of debian-am-mentors) would really make this easier. Also to get
started, doing something like co-managing an application/applicant would
really be a good way IMHO. I would propose something along the lines of

1) Assign a prospective (co-)AM to an existing AM willing to mentor
2) Assign a NM to the co-AM
3) Let co-AM process the NM, with the co-AM having the option to ask
   his mentor for opinions or help (like: is answer A sufficient?)
4) Have co-AM write the NM report and pass it to his mentor
5) Have mentor check the report for correctness and completeness and
   give appropriate feedback to his co-AM.
6) Once the prospective AM handled at least three consecutive NMs to
   the full satisfaction of his mentor, "promote" him to a full AM.

I realize this puts additional load on the mentor-AM and might make the
process of the NMs assigned to the new-AM a bit slower. On the other
hand, the NM might be assigned earlier. Also this process would make it
easier for new AMs to get going.

Also, I would propose a new mailinglist for AMs to help each other. For
example if I would need to process some documentation maintainer, that
NM would probably need to answer some docbook related subjects, but I
don't have any noteworthy knowledge in this area.

regards,
Sven