Re: Suggestion: Time limit for NM process

Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> One problem with multi-month delays in the NM process is that they aren't
> easily distinguishable from the early stages of infinite delays (which I
> have heard is what unwanted applicants are sometimes treated to---I don't
> know if it's true).

If no AM is willing to take an applicant, there is a little problem,
yes. I, as FD, cannot force people to be AM for someone, so there's
sometimes a longer waiting time for applicants well-known to be
complicated (not meaning that they don't deserve to get an account,
simply that they are known to be a PITA in some situations). Remember,
everybody involved is human.

> What would work well in combination with this is the introduction of a
> NM training course. In the course, applicants would be guided through
> the material they need to learn in order to pass NM.

I think you are misunderstanding the NM process a bit. It's *not* a
training course, it's a check to see if people are ready to get the
privileges of a DD. Teaching stuff is a side-effect when doing the
checks, and some parts of the NM templates are trying to help with
that.

You shouldn't apply if you have no idea what being a developer is about
(though many people do that) - you should do it when you're ready and
are able to handle your packages on your own. This is not true for some
applicants - just take a few random people from the queue, do a proper
package check and you'll find at least one very low quality package.

I *regularly* need to point applicants to severe licensing problems in
their packages - and the packaging check is at the end of the NM
process, after I've talked with them about the DFSG, their effects on
packaging and placing packaging in the right section.

And it's not as AMs would use secret information not available to normal
people - almost everything you need to know is on pages
www.debian.org/devel links to. The templates which are used by almost
all AMs (or are at least a basis for their questions) are available, so
everybody interested can find out the scope of the NM checks.

Marc
--
BOFH #257:
That would be because the software doesn't work.