Re: Suggestion: Time limit for NM process

On Mon, April 3, 2006 00:15, Don Armstrong wrote:
> It's going to take an unknown amount of time because the DAMs are
> volunteers who have a limited amount of time available. You're asking
> to become part of a volunteer project, and one of the limitations is
> that volunteers can only spend so much time on the project.

This is exactly my point here. There's a limited time available,
the NM process is notoriously understaffed. That's an indication of the
priority that the project gives to welcoming new contributors.

>> If this project has the position that it "isn't a big deal" that one
>> has to wait half a year *after passing all steps*, I'm really
>> reconsidering my application.
>
> If waiting for a few months for your application to be processed by
> someone who is very busy is a serious hardship for you, and you can't
> find any more positive methods of helping to free up time for those
> individuals to work on NM applications than complaining on a mailing
> list, I don't know what to tell you.

Interesting view.

I have done quite some work for Debian, in 1.5 years time. This includes
package maintenance, reviewing packages from others on -mentors, QA
activities, bug triage, writing documentation and staffing a booth on
FOSDEM. I've also done suggestions on improving the NM process, but that
didn't really help.

Appearently I now also need to help free up time of people in the NM part.
Ok, no problem. I would gladly review other developer's applications as an
FD, or review them again and create an account as DAM. I could reduce the
AM queue by taking on a candidate myself. I could also help Joerg by being
on the Debconf program committee instead of him, or approving packages in
the NEW queue. Unfortunately, none of this is actually feasible.

I'd be glad to hear concrete suggestions on how I can reduce the waiting
time in the NM process.
I'd be glad not to hear more suggestions that I'm doing nothing other than
complain on a mailinglist.

Thijs