Re: Queue processing

maxx@debian.org wrote:
>It's not a FIFO queue, it's up to the DAM to decide in what order he
>processes the applicants.
And is this reasonable? :-P  I would say "no".  What good reason
could the DAM have for processing applicants in a non-FIFO order, apart from
rare special cases?  Well, maybe some get done by each of the two DAMs; that
would make sense.  Anyay, Phlipp Kern wrote that he was told that DAM
processing was FIFO, so maybe this isn't even true.

The DAMs -- all *two* of them -- are very very busy people.
Is it sane to force everyone through a tight bottleneck of careful review and
approval by one of two very very very busy people, after the comprehensive AM
report is done?  Isn't there some better way to review the AM report?
Doesn't the Front Desk *already* review the AM report, and much more
efficiently, too?

>The same applies for the FD queue: they try to
>match applicants with suitable AMs.
Now, that *is* reasonable -- the attempt to match up applicants with AMs is a
good reason for it.  The front desk should probably make a greater effort to
get AMs for people who've been waiting a Really Long Time, though (see the
stats copied below).

Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu) wrote:
> The hard part is really the queue waits.  Once an AM is assigned, one can
> start demonstrating one's ability to do developer work to a specific
> audience, even if there are delays in that process (although Marc was
> incredibly responsive for me and I may well have gotten an unusually quick
> AM experience).  There's some sense of things happening and an evaluation
> process going on.
>
> The hard parts are waiting for an AM to be assigned, and waiting for the
> DAM to approve after AM evaluation is complete.  They're hard because
> they're just pure waiting.  There really isn't anything the applicant can
> be doing, there isn't any interaction -- it's just a queue waiting for
> someone to have time.
>
> I don't think there's a lot that can be done about this apart from finding
> more people to volunteer. It looks like a pure manpower shortage to me.
Now, that's true for the wait to get an AM assignment, where there's clearly a
shortage of AM volunteers.
DAM, on the other hand, is not *asking* for volunteers.

Now let's look at the stats for the "queues":
Awaiting AM assignment: median days 131, max days 706
Awaiting FD approval: median days 20, max days 77
Awaiting DAM appropval: median days 262, max days 303

Well, the max is worse for AM assignment -- indicating a few people who are
not getting treated well in this step -- but the median is worse for DAM
approval, inidicating that this is worse overall for most people.  Notably,
the Front Desk is really efficient.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@twcny.rr.com>

"(Instead, we front-load the flamewars and grudges in
the interest of efficiency.)" --Steve Lanagasek,