Re: fresh blood gets congested: long way to become DD

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 01:51:55AM +0100, Adeodato Sim?? wrote:
> > I think it's true that we need to get faster. I just don't have *the*
> > good idea how. Of course, ranting is not helpful (which you didn't, but
> > others did) - but I don't have a good idea what is (except of getting
> > more people to become AM, what we try, but is only limited successfull).
>
>   Private mail to FD/DAM (whichever appropriate), which they use at
>   their discretion, stating "I honestly believe this applicant should be
>   assigned an AM sooner / fastracked in the DAM queue"? And a rationale.
>
>   (And for me, the key for this method having a chance to succeed is the
>   "at their discretion" above, really.)

If this private mail would result in people doing something which they
otherwise wouldn't, then you have a point.  However, you seem to advocate that
some applicants should be assigned an AM faster at the expense of others.  I'm
currently waiting in the queue, and I wouldn't want to get such a preferential
treatment.  I think applicants should normally get an AM in the order they
enter the queue, with exceptions for certain AMs getting more "suitable"
applicants (and vice versa).  As far as I know, this is how it works at the
moment.

If I am right, the only ways to shrink the queue are
- make the job easier, so it can be done faster.  This is not a good idea IMO,
  unless there are tests which are completely useless.  As far as I understood
  it, this is not the case.
- get more AMs, or assign multiple applicants per AM in case of slowness on
  the applicant's part.  Obvioulsy the latter may give problems if the
  slowness stops.

An other option would be the committy proposal (from an other mail).  I don't
really like that, though.  I haven't seen anything from the procedure yet, but
so far I understand that it's a very personal contact, where the AM really
gets to know the applicant, so he can make a good decision.  With a committy,
I think this isn't the case anymore.  That would change the procedure from a
personal evaluation with help from questions and tasks into a
questions-and-tasks-exam.  IMO that would be a very bad thing.

And I must say, I don't really feel impaired at all by my sponsors.  But maybe
I just have very responsive sponsors, compared to others.

Thanks,
Bas