Re: Proposed question topics

Helen Faulkner <helen_ml_faulkner@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

>>>Not everyone will package libs later. The basic questions I have should
>>>give them the right directions, including a reading of the lib guides we
>>>have, so they remember later where too look. Anything more is IMO too
>>>much, some AMs already strip (most of) the library questions.
>> But all package maintainers will have to deal with libraries in some
>> way.  I strongly believe they should have a basic understanding of how
>> Debian deals with libraries.  Furthermore, any developer can upload a
>> library package.  Just because they don't think they will when they
>> enter NM doesn't mean they should get a free pass.
>> Let's face it--a large number of libraries in Debian are not packaged
>> well at all.  It's an obvious problem, and it's something that NM should
>> address.
>
> What about a question that asks NMs to list some of the types of
> problems that you can get when packaging libraries, and where/who they
> could go to for more information or help or a good example of how to do
> it?

Sure, that could work.  There's a bit more I want to address though.

> Having very recently struggled with the library questions in the current
> templates, ok I did learn some new stuff.  But, by the time I ever get
> to packaging a library, I know that I won't remember the details.  What
> is important for me to know is where to look for the information and who
> I might ask for advice on it.

Right.  One of the more common problems I've when sponsoring packages is
that NMs don't understand library dependencies.  For example, it's
pretty common for NMs to manually declare dependencies on libraries
instead of using the ${shlibs:Depends} substitution.  It shows a
fundamental misunderstanding about how Debian deals with libraries, and
I think it's definitely something we need to address in the T&S
questions.

I think NMs should basically understand:

* What sonames mean, or at least what it means if a library soname
  changes

* What shlibs are used for in relation to sonames, and why it's
  important to use proper versions in shlibs

* How to make use of library shlibs through the ${shlibs:Depends}
  substitution

* That a library packaging guide exists and can be helpful

As you note, the actual details of library packaging are probably
outside of the scope of T&S.  However, the above points are applicable
non-library packages as well, so I think they're within the scope of
T&S.

--
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!