Re: Proposed question topics

On 10164 March 1977, Brian Nelson wrote:

> 1. debhelper
>    I've found that some applicants don't really understand debhelper
>    very well.  I'd like to add a question that asks what debhelper is,
>    what purposes it serves, what alternatives are available, and how to
>    use it properly (debian/compat, build-depends, ${misc:Depends},
>    basically the stuff covered in
>    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/03/msg00002.html).

Isnt that more for the package check? 98% of them are having dh_
packages, so let them prepare a really good one of it.
Next step of course redo the whole stuff without dh.

> 2. version control
>    I can't remember where I wanted to go with this one.  I guess the
>    idea was that applicants should have a basic understanding of
>    cvs/subversion/arch, and maybe should understand the benefits of
>    maintaining packages with version control.

Naa. Everyone can handle that how he likes it most. Even if one prints
the stuff out and makes changes with a red pencil. I dont think thats a
thing to add to NM.

> 3. debconf, ucf
>    I think applicants should have an understanding of when to use
>    debconf in their packages, how to use it, and when ucf can be used in
>    conjunction with it.

ucf, hrmm. One can enhance the question we already have that points to
debconf, so it includes more debconf and also ucf related stuff.

> 4. debconf notes vs. debian/NEWS
>    Which to use...

See above.

> 5. testing migration
>    How packages migrate to testing, how to diagnose and fix migration
>    problems, and where to ask for help...

Thats in the urgency question together with the "Many Debian suites" one.

> 6. "pristine" tarballs
>    This one's pretty straight-forward.  How to ensure a package's
>    orig.tar.gz is "pristine" (aka md5sums match), what to do if upstream
>    doesn't distribute a tar.gz (tar.bz2, etc.) ...

Ok.

> 7. library packaging
>    I'd like to see some more questions about library packaging, since it
>    can be very tricky and many people, including existing developers,
>    make mistakes with it.  In particular sonames, shlibs,
>    ${shlibs:Depends}, dpkg-shlibdeps, and especially proper use of
>    dh_makeshlibs.

Not everyone will package libs later. The basic questions I have should
give them the right directions, including a reading of the lib guides we
have, so they remember later where too look. Anything more is IMO too
much, some AMs already strip (most of) the library questions.

> That last one reminds me--the question:
>     Why does a foo-dev package depends on foo?
>     Why is it fooX-dev and not foo-dev in some cases?
> is confusing.  Many applicants read that and say, "huh?"  I think the
> question is trying to ask why libraries are split into libblahX and
> libblah-dev packages, and why it can be useful to have multiple -dev
> versions for a library.  Joerg, can you please clarify?

Yes, it asks why there are sometimes multiple version of one dev
package.

--
bye Joerg
[Es geht doch nichts ueber deutsche Uebersetzungen]