public criticism (was: Re: Concerning NM Andree Leidenfrost <aleidenf@bigpond.net.au>)

* Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> [2004-06-16 07:28]:
> * Duncan Findlay (duncf@debian.org) wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:16:44PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> > some notes on Andree Leidenfrost for whoever is going to become AM for
>> > him. This is not ment negative against him but just as a note to check
>> > that he learned from his mistake.
>>
>> Perhaps in the future you should send these to the Front Desk rather
>> than debian-newmaint. I suspect I'm not alone in my belief that these
>> criticisms are best kept private, in order to avoid discouraging
>> candidates.
>
> I *fully* disagree.  Public criticism is the way of life in Debian.

 Noone would have thought of anything else but you advocating this...
But if you want to advocate it you must be able to handle it, right?

 This is not about mrvn's mail because it is really polite, but often
enough so called public criticism isn't helpfull at all to neither the
others nor the person who made the mistakes. This is one of the reasons
why there are quite some people not subscribed to debian-devel (and even
debian-private, fwiw) and otoh don't really think about joining the
"official" rank...

> If applicants can't handle that then they're likely to be unhappy in
> Debian.

 They might, but most of the time there still isn't need to publically
compromise others.

 So long,
Alfie
--
"The reason why worry kills more people than work is that more people worry
 than work."