AM Report for Micah Anderson <micah@riseup.net>

Report for new developer applicant Micah Anderson <micah@riseup.net>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

   Check with Keyid 0x1CF2D62A

   ID Check passed, Key signed by numerous existing Debian Developers,
   e.g. Fabio M. Di Nitto <fabbione@debian.org>, Norbert Tretkowski
   <nobse@debian.org> as well as Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>.

   Output from 'gpg --check-sigs 0x1CF2D62A' (only the relevant parts):

   pub  1024D/1CF2D62A 2000-05-07 Micah Anderson <micah@indymedia.org>
   sig!3       0F7A8D01 2004-06-12   Norbert Tretkowski <tretkowski@inittab.de>
   sig!3       29982E5A 2004-06-02   Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
   sig!3       44779E18 2004-05-31   Fabio M. Di Nitto <fabbione@debian.org>
   sub  1024g/01FC7871 2000-05-07
   sig!        1CF2D62A 2000-05-07   Micah Anderson <micah@indymedia.org>

   Applicant writes:

   --8<-------------------------------------------------------->8---

   [...]

   What I particularly like about the Debian Social Contract is that it
   is a contract explicitly made between Debian and the Free Software
   community. This contract ensures that the elements of the Debian
   system that are distributed will be done so with an intentionality
   towards preserving and propogating Free Software, and the freedom
   inherant therein. It is an assurance to the upstream developers that
   their software, their hard work, their ideals which compose their
   motiviation and beliefs for making this software, will not be
   corrupted, misused, co-opted or otherwise diluted in the packaging,
   distribution and work involved in the Debian project. While Free
   Software is packaged and distributed by other distributions which do
   not have a social contract, the Debian social contract, and the DFSG,
   is what makes Debian unique and enables upstream developers to have
   the freedom to develop in a safe haven, or open space. It provides a
   space where the freedom imbued in each piece of free software is
   encouraged to grow, rather than be stifled, in a community devoted to
   the very fundamental ideals which comprise its elements. It is the
   base by which all aspects of the Debian project are able to flourish,
   instead of being a project motivated by some other underlying
   foundation (such as proftit, service, etc.), it is instead motivated
   and driven by the same ideals that comprise the software by which it
   is composed. It inspires growth and revitilization back into the
   upstream software which is beneficial to Debian, but also to the
   greater community of Free Software. The fact that Debian makes this
   explicit that it is part of a community that gives back to itself in
   maintaining the freedom of its packages, and working in an open and
   transparant way is very powerful and has been the primary reason why I
   choose Debian over any other GNU/Linux distribution or any of the BSDs.

   [...]

   --8<-------------------------------------------------------->8---

2. Philosophy and Procedures
----------------------------

   Micah demonstrated a good understanding of Debian's Philosophy and
   Procedures. He answered all my Questions about the Social Contract,
   the DFSG, the BTS etc. and had nearly no problems with it.

   bittornado by Michael Banck only. When I checked the packages, I found
   some very very small glitches which he fixed quickly.

   Additionally, Micah is involved in the Debian non-profit project.

   He also answered my questions regarding T&S without problems.

   I recommend to accept Micah Anderson as a Debian Developer.

   Preferred account name: micah
   Address to forward E-Mails to: micah@riseup.net

--
  .''`.   Martin Loschwitz           Debian GNU/Linux developer
 : :'  :  madkiss@madkiss.org        madkiss@debian.org