Re: AM Report for Week Ending 08 Dec 2002

* Marcelo E. Magallon <mmagallo@debian.org> [2002-12-11 15:07]:
> For some time I thought AM-assignment was a completely automated
> process (which should it be different?), but at some point it became
> clear to me that there's a much larger degree of manual intervention
> than what I expected.

It wouldn't be a good idea to automate AM assignments.  There's more
involved than just assigning the first NM in the queue to a random AM
who has a free slot.  In some cases, it makes sense to assign an AM to
a specific AM.  For example, there was a NM recently who was into IPv6.
So I assigned him to an AM who actually uses IPv6.  Another example:
some AMs have very bad Internet connections and I wouldn't assign
someone with a KDE or GNOME package to them (imagine all the
dependencies they'd have to download).  Or some AMs have Perl packages
while others are more into Python and I try to assign NMs to AMs who
can actually test their skills well.

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com