Re: Trouble becoming a member

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 01:07:59PM -0600, Joel Baker wrote:

> Visual identification of the applicant isn't terribly meaningful; all it
> establishes is that they have a card with their picture on it. It says
> nothing about the veracity of that card, which is where the attack is in
> that case. However, see below.

Let me put it another way: they can forge their ID, but it's hard to
forge their face.  With a face-to-face meeting, if the person DOES have
ulterior motives, we now have a much better chance of bringing them to
justice afterwards than if both their identity and their face were
unknown to us.

> > Most people don't get signed into the ring by people from far distant
> > lands (say, California), either; the web is large enough now that
> > familiarity with the IDs of your own state, and possibly your neighboring
> > states, should be enough to prevent mere $1,000 forgeries.  And when NMs
> > can expect to spend maybe half a year in the queue anyway, the
> > "reasonable effort" to contact a local DD should include a corresponding
> > increase in effort to be considered reasonable.

> This, I will grant, with one caveat: the question of whether DDs actually
> do know this, and whether they are actively aware of it. They should be -
> but are they? (And is this, perhaps, something to be noted in the FAQs, if
> not?)

Yes, making sure that our developers are well-educated is always a
concern.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer