Re: Addition to Email that new DD's recieve

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 11:55:01PM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
>  Bugzilla is a prime example of a feature-rich yet easy to use BTS.

Bugzilla is a prime example of a feature-rich yet fiendishly difficult
to use BTS. Despite much time spent examining both the documentation
and the code, I have never managed to construct a reliable and
accurate query with it that returned what I wanted, and that's only
the start. Everything about it is overcomplicated, and it consumes far
too much developer time. The tool should serve the users, and not the
other way around.

>  Bugzilla doesn't support all the functionality we need, but I suspect
>  it should be enough for the WNPP and sponsor systems.

See above for why it would be wholly inappropriate.

>  I'd rather keep
>  using the BTS for this, though.  People already know how to interact
>  with the BTS, the interface is simple and offline-friendly.

Square peg, round hole. The BTS does not store the same sort of thing,
and the requirements are different. It is not difficult to implement a
system to handle WNPP from scratch; it is rather more difficult to
modify the BTS to support all of the extra stuff, and not particularly
useful for storing bugs.

>  Adam wanted to reimplement some stuff in the BTS.  What happend with
>  that?

AFAIK he simply hasn't got around to it yet. It's quite a huge job.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK