Re: Can a package that is not destined for Debian be used for tasks&skills

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 06:38:41PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> Hi.  I reviewed two packages provided by one of my applicants.  They
> were not in an archive at the beginning of the application but
> (unknown to me) he did not file an ITP.
>

> Someone else uploaded the packages meanwhile.  I think it is still
> reasonable for me to use these packages to evaluate tasks&skills of
> the applicant, although obviously I still need to establish that the
> applicant is actually going to do something for Debian.

Obviously they are still valuable to look at. I often ask applicants
to package something extra without using the various helper scripts,
but don't require them to upload these to the archive.

I'm generally looking for both the ability to create packages and the
ability to do a good job of maintaining them; I see no reason why
these should be demonstrated on the same package or packages, as long
as they are demonstrated somehow.

In this case, if they don't already have some other package in the
archive, I would expect them to get one there before recommending
them.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK