Can a package that is not destined for Debian be used for tasks&skills

Hi.  I reviewed two packages provided by one of my applicants.  They
were not in an archive at the beginning of the application but
(unknown to me) he did not file an ITP.

Someone else uploaded the packages meanwhile.  I think it is still
reasonable for me to use these packages to evaluate tasks&skills of
the applicant, although obviously I still need to establish that the
applicant is actually going to do something for Debian.

I wanted to confirm I am correct in my understanding.