Re: sid: libc6-2.2.5-4 kills vmware workstation 3.0

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 10:40:39AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 11:31:15PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
>
> >> Imagine that as a project member you are
> >> a service provider.  A service provider can do 10 things right and be rude
> >> only once, and still a user will recall the negative experience.
>
> > Start by the people who are already a Debian developer and are even
> > more rude than me. Or is it allowed to be offensive when you are a
> > debian developer? Or do you have to agree with the person being rude
> > before they can rude???
>
> Curious defense.  There are already rude people who are Debian
> developers, therefore: 1) you don't believe you were wrong in the way
> you handled the situation, and should not change your tone;

No, I was merely trying to say this isn't a reason to not make me a
Debian developer.

> 2) no one
> has any right to require you to behave in a manner befitting the
> project before letting you in, because you have as much right to be a
> Debian developer as the other gasbags that have already been allowed in.

Yes, they can do that, but they should do with the other people first.

> >> In any event, my opinion carries no more weight than any other Debian
> >> developer (and less that many), so there's little point in you feeling
> >> threatened.  I'm simply stating, publicly, that I think it's important
> >> that NM applicants exhibit the capacity for civil discourse on the lists,
> >> and that a tendency to be abusive on the lists should be a factor in the
> >> DAM's decision (which it may already be).
>
> > Then DAM has already failed with previous applicants.
>
> Jeroen, think about it.  Flamewars follow you whenever you post.  Even
> if you do believe you're right in showering verbal abuse down on people
> who don't meet your standards for "freeness", why would the DAM want to
> give an account to someone who comes into such sharp conflict with such
> a large segment of the Debian community?

I never said this was right.

> If you're unwilling to concede that there are times when zealotry is
> contrary to the goals of Debian, and that the goals of Debian *should
> take precedence* when you are acting as a member of this community, then
> there will be DDs standing up to advocate against you so long as you
> persist in applying.

And enough developers to advocate for me and are a zealot themself. At
least that was my impression when I speak with a lot of developers.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org