Re: GPG USAGE HOWTO 1 (was: Re: AM report on Thierry Bourrillon)

Ralf Treinen writes:
 > On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 10:55:21PM +0200, Lenart Janos wrote:
 > >
 > > It's terrible what you people here call keysigning, and keysign
 > > checking. You are using --list-sigs and not --check-sigs, --list-sigs
 > > DOES NOT CHECK ANYTHING. And that other guy signs a UID that's
 > > invalid. So, if elmo rejects the application the applicant can be happy
 > > with having a signed @debian.org UID, I have no idea whatever it's good
 > > for by this time, but it's BAD anyway. The web of trust is piece of shit
 > > becouse of the 'I-don\'t-care' users of strong encryption systems.
 >
 > If I sign a key I confirm the fact that the person with the name on
 > the key has claimed to me that the key is his. IMHO my signature on
 > the key does not confirm that the person is owner of the mailbox.
 > Am I right?

No. You should be certifying that a) the email address on the key owns
the key, and b) that this corresponds to the person named in the
key. I typically do this by sending PGP-encrypted mail to the address
on the key, and making sure I get a reply (as well as looking at ID
when I'm handed the fingerprint).

Matthew

--
Rapun.sel - outermost outpost of the Pick Empire
http://www.pick.ucam.org